Wednesday, January 4, 2012

No pictures, please

Today, I made a new friend. His name is Victor, and he works for the Retention Department for Directv.

Our friendship got off to a rough start, however. Long story short - the sales guy misled me on a few details, and I was, to say the least, upset.

And, like Lou Ferrigno on a bad day, I'm not pleasant when I'm upset.

While I didn't blame Victor, I was rather blunt about my concerns in a professionally terse manner. I threatened to bail from Directv and Victor took significant time to talk me off the proverbial ledge. After 45 minutes on the phone, I asked him to call me back later after I discussed the matter with my hubby to give him our decision.

Fast forward to dinner time...Kiddo needed to be picked up from dance, I was trying to assemble dinner...and the phone rang. Victor was evidently in a chatty mood, so I held the phone nestled in my ear as I dished the pesto over the pork & gnocchi...then set the plates on the table...and we all sat down...

I finally had to thank Victor for all his help and advice, get shuffled to a different department, give an approval...all while my poor family sat in front of their ever-chilling plates of yum.

Which is why I don't have a picture of dinner.

"Italian Pork Chops & Gnocci with Pesto"
Serves 4
4 boneless pork chops
A package of gnocchi*
1/2 cup of Pesto (follow directions on the tube/container to see if adding olive oil is necessary before using)
Kosher salt
Pepper
Dried Basil & Oregano
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil

*Gnocchi are potato dumplings. They are dense before cooking, and chewy after - for someone like me who enjoys that texture, gnocchi is on my "top 10 comfort food" list. Which, after my day arguing with Directv, seemed appropriate.

Start boiling the water for the gnocchi. While waiting, heat a skillet to medium high, and season the pork chops with the kosher salt, basil, oregano & garlic powder.

Put a bit of olive oil in the skillet, and place the pork chops in the skillet to begin to brown. I've found placing a grease shield over the meat keeps oil from coating every flat surface in the kitchen.

When the water comes to a boil, salt the water liberally (at least 2 tablespoons), carefully load the gnocchi into a slotted spoon & lower into the boiling water.

Turn the pork chops.

In about 3 minutes, the gnocchi should float to the top of the boiling water - this means it's done! Use the slotted spoon to remove, then shake the water off and slide the gnocchi onto each plate.

I judge a pork chop's doneness by pressing gently on it with a spatula. If it feels pretty firm - not mushy - it's probably done. Remember - it will still continue cooking for a bit after you remove it - so don't wait too long!

Place one pork chop on each plate, over the gnocchi. Spoon the pesto over the pork and gnocchi.

I served Berryville's 2010 Cynthiana wine, and it cut through the pesto flavor quite nicely.

Now, please excuse me while I enjoy an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" and enjoy the adventure of navigating a new remote control. Wish Victor was here...

No comments:

Post a Comment