Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Zumba Chili!

I have been wanting to try Zumba for quite some time. I even signed up for a course at the college this summer, but for some reason it was cancelled before the first meeting. So, when I saw that a new teacher was starting a class at the Olney Skateland on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 5:30, I thought, "What the heck?"

But - this required some planning. Our busy family wouldn't all be home until 6:30 - and we'd be pretty hungry! So, the trusty crock-pot came in handy again, and what better to eat after some hot Zumba?




Zumba Chili!

It's so simple - mix a 14 oz can of tomato sauce, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn, a can of black beans and a can of kidney beans with a packet of chicken taco seasoning and a teaspoon of chili powder in a crock-pot. Then, add 3 chicken breasts, and cook on low for 10 hours. Shred the chicken by pulling it apart with tongs. Serve it in a bowl with cheese, sour cream, or whatever else you like!

I'll admit, I left out the corn (hubby is not a fan of corn), and chili powder (daughter is not a fan of hot stuff, after an incident with jalapeño corn bread at the age of 2. No - we didn't know it was jalapeño corn bread - and didn't understand why she was making such a fuss over the nice piece of cornbread served with her hot dog...).

It was good! After it cooked all day, I tasted it and also added some garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and a wee bit of lemon juice. The prep took me all of 10 minutes in the morning, and the post-cook seasoning took 5 minutes tops. It was light, yet filling after a kick-butt Zumba class!

And you're wondering how the Zumba class went? I came home drenched in sweat, tired, and with a lower back that paid the price for using my "Latin hips" for an hour. It was great! I think Zumba will be a good "change-up" to my cycling-running cardio routines.

As for the dance element...well, I went in figuring, "I may look like a fool, but dang it, I'm going for it!" I think this meme perhaps sums it up...





...except I'm not giving it up for yoga. And, if anyone in O-Town is free on Wednesday nights at 5:30...come join me in making a fool of myself...and having a dang fun time doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment