Thursday, June 28, 2012

John Wayne Ate Steak

Our daughter has recently decreed that her favorite food is steak.

Who can blame her - really, a good steak is just hard to beat. I always feel a bit decadent while eating steak - it's a summary of most of the seven deadly sins wrapped up in meaty goodness.

It doesn't have to be so sinful, though. It's not just the "greedy" who can afford a steak - certain cuts are comparable in cost to chicken, and if prepared well, satisfy one's steak cravings. And - one does not need to be a glutton while enjoying it - the same inexpensive cut is actually quite lean.

I'm talking about flank steak. Bourbon-Marinated Flank Steak.





As side dishes, I served mashed red potatoes to my husband and daughter, and corn on the cob and sliced red tomatoes to my daughter and I. The small cup contains the boiled-down marinade to use as a dipping sauce. It's strong, and perhaps a bit salty, but was a nice contrast.

Since we don't have a grill up-&-running yet, I broiled it, and it carmelized quite nicely.

If you look in the comments for the recipe, you'll see that many have included brown sugar into the marinade - something I will try next time.

And-we only ate half the meat! I think I will serve the leftover steak on salads or lunch today.

In my search to find appetizing, inexpensive, quick and healthy meals, I believe I have found another that fits the bill.

Even John Wayne would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment